It doesn’t matter whether you are preparing yourself for a pandemic or you want to be sure that there’s something to eat at your home at any time, you should know that there are many long-lasting cheap foods out there. This means that you can stock your pantry and save money and time in the future.
Making a plan when it comes to meals is always a good idea. In this way, you can follow a specific diet that can help you maintain a healthy weight, eat foods you like, and save money. Of course, not all foods are created equal when it comes to their shelf life. Luckily, there is a wide array of cheap foods that last a long time available on the market. So, you don’t have to break your bank if you want to eat healthily and save time. We will use this article to talk about the best foods of this kind.
- Get familiar with the best inexpensive foods with a long shelf life
- Explore their nutritional value
- Find out how to get the most from them
So, are you prepared to purchase food and get ready to prepare meals for days in advance? Start reading our list!
1. White rice – a staple food in many countries
Did you know that white rice can last for more than three decades when it’s stored properly? Just keep in low temperatures and a dark place and that’s it. As you know, white rice is a staple food in many countries across the globe making it one of the most popular cheap foods. While it’s true that brown rice is a healthier option, we should mention that brown rice doesn’t last too long because it contains unsaturated fat. It’s also more expensive compared to white rice.
- White rice can last for over 30 years
- This is one of the cheap foods that’s used worldwide
- Brown rice might be healthier, but it doesn’t last very long due to the presence of unsaturated fat
2. Peanut butter – another great option
Peanut butter is good for the heart and it lowers the risk of gallstones, diabetes, and cancer. But, what’s even better is that this type of butter lasts for a very long period – up to two years. Keep in mind that the shelf life of this product is reduced when the jar is opened. Just store it on room temperature and away from direct sunlight and you will have a long-lasting solution for your meals.
- Cheap foods like this are usually used with bread
- A sealed jar should last for two or more years
- Peanut butter provides many health benefits
3. Honey – an indestructible food
To be honest, honey can be expensive, but when we compare the amount of honey we need, it deserves to be listed on the list of cheap foods. When it comes to its shelf life, there’s no doubt that this product belongs here. Honey doesn’t have a shelf life. The structure of honey can change over time, but it will still be edible. Honey is packed with natural sugar and antioxidants. It’s good for the digestive system, blood sugar, sore throats, and boosts your energy.
- Edible honey has been discovered in ancient tombs
- This product lasts for centuries and tastes great
- It’s loaded with antioxidants that are good for the body
4. Canned soup – a practical solution
If you are looking for cheap foods that last a long time, then you can’t go wrong with canned soups. These products contain many antioxidants and some fiber too. To get the most from them, it’s highly recommended to choose soups that don’t have high sodium content. Split pea, lentil, beans – these are some of the best varieties that you can purchase and store. This is a healthy and inexpensive solution that can help you make a meal in no time.
- Canned soups last for decades
- Opt for low-sodium canned soups
- It’s easy to prepare a meal when you have a canned soup
5. Pasta to the rescue
Those of you who want to prepare tasty and healthy cheap foods should take pasta into account. You can use pasta like spaghetti and macaroni in a wide array of meals or simply add some cheese and eat them like that. You don’t have to be an experienced chef to prepare a bowl of spaghetti. Don’t forget that there are different types of pasta out there based on whole grain, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Pasta is a versatile type of food
- Whole grain pasta is probably the healthiest option
- It’s very easy to prepare a meal like this
6. Dried legumes – food packed with proteins and more
When it comes to legumes, you have to look for dried legumes. This is the option that lasts for a long time and it’s also inexpensive. These are processed legumes (the water is extracted), but this doesn’t affect their nutritional value. Dried legumes are packed with proteins. You can mix them with other foods or eat them alone if you want to.
- This is one of the cheap foods that can provide protein
- Dried legumes are processed, but they have more or less the same nutritional value
- You can prepare many different meals with dried legumes
7. Dehydrated fruit – use them at any time of the day
Once the moisture from the fruits is removed, they can last for years. So, if you want to cheap foods with a long shelf life, you can count on dehydrated fruit. Some of the most popular types of dehydrated fruit include apples, apricots, and raisins. Needless to say, they still contain a bunch of minerals and vitamins as well as fiber. With their help, you can expect to reduce the risk of many diseases, improve digestive health, and improve blood flow too.
- Dehydrated fruit has many different nutrients in it including minerals and vitamins
- Cheap foods like this can last for years
- Raisins, apples, and apricots are great options