Do you want to live longer? If you are like most people, then you’ve probably answered this question with a big and loud YES. Diet is one of the most important things for those who are interested in longevity. So, certain foods can help people improve their health and live longer.
If you have become aware of the importance of your health and you want to live a healthy life for a long time, then you should start working on this issue right away. By eating the right selection of foods that contain all the nutrients we need, you can achieve this goal. Remember that we are not talking about radical changes in your diet. Usually, it takes a few modifications to become healthier. We’ll use this article to show you how you can reach this goal simply by consuming the right foods.
- Get familiar with nutrient-rich foods
- Find out how they affect your body
- Learn more about the health benefits of specific nutrients
What should we eat to live longer? Check our list of foods and enjoy life!
1. Treat yourself with dark chocolate
We all need to treat ourselves with food once in a while. But, eating processed foods, sugar-packed candies and similar foods are a bad option. On the other hand, a dessert/snack like dark chocolate is actually good for those who want to live longer. This is one of the best foods to take cacao, an ingredient that’s rich in antioxidants and other substances that are good for blood pressure, and blood cells. It also lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Eat dark chocolate, but do this in moderation
- This type of chocolate is rich in cacao
- It’s good for the blood pressure and blood cells
2. Have some berries if you want to reach healthy old age
You don’t want just to live longer; you want to be healthy while you are old too. That’s why we are recommending berries. Cranberries, raspberries, blackberries and other berries are loaded with phytochemicals. These natural chemicals support immunity which means that they keep you safe from diseases including heart disease. Berries have powerful antioxidant properties too. Try to eat fresh berries according to their season.
- These are one of the best foods when it comes to antioxidative properties
- Some good examples include blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and cranberries
- They are excellent for immunity
3. Vegetables, especially green veggies, are a great option
Many experts argue that vegetables are one of the best foods for longevity. They are high in antioxidants and other compounds that can prevent cancer, lower inflammation, optimize cells, and more. Scientific studies have shown that eating around 200 grams of kale, spinach, broccoli or other similar green veggies can lower the risk of mortality in adult men and women. Prepare a salad every day if you can.
- Vegetables are a good source of antioxidants
- They contain other useful compounds that lower inflammation, prevent cancer and provide other health benefits
- Eat salads and prepare side dishes with veggies
4. Drink a glass of yogurt a day
What makes yogurt one of the best foods for those who want to live longer is the high amount of calcium in it. By drinking yogurt regularly, you will be able to strengthen your bonus and slow down the natural process of aging. The good bacteria present in yogurt makes it good for both the digestive and immune system. Check the label before buying a yogurt – don’t purchase heavily processed products. If you have time and knowledge, prepare yogurt at home.
- Yogurt is high in calcium which is good for the bones and against premature aging
- This drink is beneficial for the immune and digestive system
- Buy high-quality yogurt or make one at home
5. Eat fish to reach very old age
There’s a very low chance to reach old age without eating fish. It’s one of the rare foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids. They are important because they optimize the heart rate. Additionally, cholesterol build ups that can block your arteries are much more difficult when you consume fish regularly. Experts recommend eating fish two or three times a week if you want to live longer and be healthy.
- Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- It prevents the accumulation of cholesterol in arteries
- Eat fish two or three times a week for the best results
6. Avocado – a nutritional powerhouse for a healthy and long life
Avocado is an exotic fruit that’s packed with monounsaturated fat. Your body can burn this fat easily. There are 20 important nutrients in this fruit including folic acid, vitamin B, vitamin E, and potassium. Researchers have found that avocado is good for the prevention of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. It also supports detoxification and stabilizes the level of cholesterols in the blood.
- Avocado is a fruit that’s high in monounsaturated fat
- It contains over 20 important nutrients
- It’s good for preventing diabetes and cardiovascular disease
7. Include more nuts
If you are trying to create and follow a diet that will help you live longer, then you should include more nuts in it. For instance, eating just 20 to 40 grams of walnuts a day can significantly lower the risk of respiratory and heart diseases. Nuts are rich in healthy fats, minerals, and vitamins too.
- Eat nuts like almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts
- They prevent respiratory and cardiovascular diseases
- Nuts are packed with nutrients
8. Spice up your meals with olive oil
It turns out that it’s very important to use high-quality oil in your meals. Olive oil, especially virgin olive oil, is one of the best options out there. You can use it with different foods and by doing this, you will lower the risk of developing heart disease or cancer. Of course, olive oil makes meals taste better. Some nutritionists recommend a teaspoon of olive oil a day to support longevity.
- Use olive oil in salads and meals
- Virgin olive oil is one of the best varieties out there
- Olive oil protects you from cancer and heart disease